Triangle Park

Triangle Park is located at the intersections of Lakeshore Drive, Main Street and the City Pier entrance.

A New Park

In the 1990s, the City spent $3.5 to renovate Kershaw Park and Lakeshore Drive. The area was blighted: A tall, rusty chainlink fence cordoned Kershaw Park from Lakeshore Drive. A propane gas depot stood on the site of the current NY Kitchen.

That wasn’t very welcoming to the refurbished City Pier.

However, the City aggressively pursued its capital improvement plan. One aspect involved creating a new city park at the base of the Canandaigua City Pier to welcome visitors to the City lakefront.

One option called for a roundabout so that motorist could choose between South Main Street, the City Pier and Lakeshore Drive. Because Canandaigua had no local experience with roundabouts, the City Council decided against constructing this traffic novelty.

Years later, Ontario County built two roundabouts in the eastern bypass around Canandaigua. Since then, motorists realize that roundabouts move traffic faster than traditional 4-way stop sign intersections.

After much discussion, City Council agreed on the current design of Triangle Park. The designers suggested new placement of the old 1929 monument and historical marker.

This made it more welcoming to pedestrians. This monument commemorates the 1779 routes of the armies of General John Sullivan and General James Clinton.

Triangle Park monument
This stone bench in Triangle Park commemorates a Revolutionary War campaign

Here’s a closeup of the monument:

Triangle Park interpretive sign
The plaque in Canandaigua’s Triangle Park.

Interpretive Sign

The plaque contains language that offends modern sensibilities. Rather than remove the plaque, the City demonstrated its appreciation for the history of Native Americans. After all, Canandaigua (which means the “Chosen Spot”) got its name from our First People, the Haudenosaunee (“People of the Longhouse”).

Honored Past

Several years ago, the City commissioned a modern bronze stature depicting a Seneca, or Onondowahgah (“The People of the Great Hill”) family. The statue is located on the northeast corner at the intersection of South Main Street and State Routes 5 & 20.

Whether it’s historic sites, museums or local parks, Canandaigua is filled with history.

Contact Us Now

Return to top of page